Monday, June 28, 2010

Last Weekend of June

We had a very eventful weekend and still managed some time to work on the house.  I say the weekend started with Britton's last softball game of the season even though it was just Thursday night.  In the bottom of the final inning Britton got up to bat.  His team was down by two with the bases loaded and two outs.  Britton had a full count, and hit hit it out to right field where the right fielder missed it and it skipped back to the fence.  In the park GRAND SLAM and his team won the game!  I was so proud!
Friday my mom helped me work on our house.  She is such a hard worker.  When I told her I was done for the day and she could go home, she replied that she had a few more things she wanted to get done before she left.  I know if my mom was working on the house every weekend it would have been finished months ago.  After a day full of work, Britton and I met my friend Laura in Taylor for a George McConnel and The Nonchalants concert in the lawn of the Plein Air Neighborhood.
Laura stayed with us on Friday night.  Saturday morning Laura and I went back out to Taylor to visit the Taylor Farmers Market.  We also looked around the Antique store there where I found a great painting of what I see out my car window this time of year driving in, not cotton, but hay bales.  I loved this painting and quickly snapped a photo in hopes to find more works by the same artist.

After the Farmers Market, Laura pitched it with some painting and moving at our house before she headed back home.  We posed for a picture in the backyard.
The self timer on the camera worked pretty well, and what you don't see is Angie and her friend Digory trying to figure out what we were doing running to a spot and standing still.  See their curiosity below.
Sunday we went to "Tula Homecoming."  Tula is the community where my grandfather farmed and my mom and her three sisters grew up.  We enjoyed the worship service at the Tula Baptist Church before feasting on a down home meal.  The special music at church was two older gentlemen picking the guitar and singing bluegrass hymns.  The music ended with I'll Fly Away and the whole congregation joined in.

After a drive out to the farm, we came back home just in time for my brother Brent and his girlfriend to arrive for a visit.  We made our way to the square where we enjoyed the AC at Square Books and at some frozen yogert at Ya Ya's (my second visit to Ya Ya's in two days).
We also made Kirsten take the typical tourist picture with William Faulkner on the Square.

And we finally ended the night with a picnic in the Grove at Ole Miss listening to the Germantown Symphony.  It was a wonderful summer night; the threat of rain past not without leaving a beautiful rainbow. By the last song, most commonly known to my generation at the "Beef...It's what's for dinner" tune, the crickets seemed to be competing with the musicians for our applause. 
What a wonderful weekend.... Can we do it all again?


ashley.graham.and.eden said...

wow. Go, Britt!! the rest of the weekend sounds amazing, too ;)

littlestpickle said...

Yay! You are a GREAT blogger. Thanks for including me in the post. :)

LOVED spending time with you last weekend.

mary-kathryn said...

don't you love weekends like that!

Boston & Whitney Little said...

Look at you Miss Blogger! Looks like y'all are busy bees this summer! You do it all again with me if I ever make it back to MS soon:) The laundry room looks great by the way!